Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Week 1 In Malaysia

July 20, 2010

So there was this really big dog....
   HA! Not yet, but we will see. Most of the dogs are these little dogs, but they run in packs usually. Only one has chased us this far, but Elder Steele (Elder Besi) and I are fast.
    So! Malaysia!!!! I love it here! It has rained the past 8 days I think? Before I got here, but when it really rains, you get completely soaked as if you jumped in a pool in about 5 seconds. Its pretty wild. At that point its just fun to ride though puddles and splash each other. Its great fun :D Its nice to be wet because of rain and not sweat, cause you sweat. ALOT when you are riding bikes in the humidity. You get use to it though.
   Our area and branch is called Kota Samarahan, and is about a 45 minute bike ride from our house. We have to ride on the side of the highway. Its scary the first few times, but you get use to it. It's pretty grand though. Its just tough cause you have to spend so much time riding it gives you less time to teach. We are moving to a new house next week, which will be a little bit closer, but might move again into Kota Samarahan to make it almost no highway riding at all. Well.....we would still have to ride a lot to get out to the Kangpungs (Villages). The people in the city are mostly Muslim and we can't teach them, so a lot of our work is done out in the Kampungs, where the Christians are super super humble. It is amazing. So many houses we go into are made of plywood, 2x4's and sheet metal, and they spend their whole lives in them. It shows how we should not complain one bit about the houses we live in. I also haven't seen carpet ever since I left Singapore. It's all tile here, cause carpet would just go bad super fast. Its kinda nuts, but true.
    So people have a hard time saying Kampenhout, so they have kinda picked my name to be Elder Kempen, which means campaign, but oh well. It works. Its not our name that matters, but the message we bring. The people here are so jolly, and love to mess with you (or Kacau) (you say like Ka-Show!!) and it's always really fun. You have to have fun with the people and can't take yourself too serious, otherwise you won't be able to teach them.
   So in Kuching (which means cat) and in the surrounding countryside, there is pretty much jungle everywhere. Between the different cities and kampungs which we ride to is deep jungle on either side of the highway. It's crazy to think about. The other day the 1st counselor in our branch Bro. Senen said his friend saw a python as thick as my thigh (and i have big thighs!) and it was longer than the road. It stopped all of traffic as it slithered across. It was crazy to think about. If I one i'll snap a pic. I don't have too many pics yet, but I will take more next week and send them out over email.
    So one of the fun things out here are all the dialects. The Chinese speak Chinese. Most people speak ok Malay, but a lot of people speak Iban, which is an offshoot of Malay, which makes it hard to understand because they sound so similar but are different. Its really fun though. My Malay is getting better by the day, and while I don't know how to speak Iban yet (gift of tongues will be needed for that one) I can say a few greetings are words. Nama Berinta!!!!! Akit!!!! (How are you!!! Grandpa!!!!) It's really fun.
   This has been amazing so far, and I am loving every second of it. I'm still getting my feet wet, and need to establish myself and get all my supplies, but that will come in time. Just know that the Lord is working hard out here, and that this is the frontier of missionary work. Best Mission in the world!!! Our area has been open for one month, so most of the people we talk to haven't heard about the church. There are a few long time members who moved out into our area, and are super strong and in good leadership positions, but there is a lot of work to do. Only through the Lord can His church be built. I Love this work, and can't wait to tell you more. I love you all and pray for you always. Take care :D
Love,
   Elder Kampenhout

No comments:

Post a Comment