Sunday, January 2, 2011

Malaysia - Week 24 - How can Christmas still be going????‏

Sweet young Malaysian boy
Dec. 28, 2010

Hello Everyone!!!

   So a bit of Crazyness over here. Elder Gallinger and I handled Christmas day likes pros. We went to about 8 houses and ate lots of food, but we didn't want to Die afterwards!!! Yay!!! The crazy part is that here in Kuching, Christmas goes for about 3 days.....maybe 4. Not sure. Still not over. Last night was pretty died down. We will see though :D

   So yeah...calling home on the mission. Not as bad as I thought :D You guys sounded the same, which was comforting. Many other missionaries told me that calling home trunks you out of your mind (trunk=missing home, want to go home, etc) but I didn't think it was too bad :) I'm loving what I am doing over here and so I am not really ready to go home yet ;) I'd hope so!!! Still got an eternity here!!!

   But as far as getting missionary work done this last week was really really hard. The village we have been doing a lot of our work in lately was a roar with drunkards, and fire works all over the place. Now the fireworks here are not flashy at all. Pretty much just loud with no lights. So it kinda sounds like a war zone at times. Ha ha. But the times spent with members and friends was worth it all :D I have come to realize that the country of Malaysia is not anything super special (like all countries) but it is the light of Christ that is in the members and investigators here that makes it so awesome and attractive. The members are all so diverse and fun in their own way, and the progress that is going on here is a miracle to behold. In the History of the Troy Branch back home, I can only remember 2 converts to the Church. One being an older man who is sweet, and the other was Colton, the 16-17 year old kid, who later fell away from his testimony. Not the same here. When I first came to Kota Samarahan, it had only been a branch for 1 month. Wow. Since then I have seen first hand the growth that has taken place. My first sacrament meeting there were 17 members. Talk about humble beginnings. Since then we have grown up to about a regular number around 50. It has been incredible, seeing the faith grow in this area, and how much the members are taking upon themselves to bring others to the gospel :D Many people think that the Elders in Kota Samarahan are doing a great job. No....we are just along for the ride. We are just doing our jobs in being obedient, teaching, baptizing, and supporting the Branch with all our might, mind and strength. And I've loved every minute of it.

   So a cool little experience had the other day. As we were teaching one of our Recent Convert's son about the Restoration, and about Joseph Smith's first vision, we told him that while our own answers may not come through a pillar of light, they will come to our hearts and minds telling us this is true. At this point the parents kept telling us about this light they saw. I was a bit confused at first, but when we were watching the Restoration movie, they point to the pillar of light and said "We saw that!" "What?!?!" I thought? They then went on to explain that when they were driving over to the church to get baptized, as they were driving, a hole opened up in the dark sky and a magnificent pillar of light shown down from heaven that pointed towards the direction of the church. They told me that when they saw it they had a swelling in their hearts that what they were doing that day was right in the eyes of God. Woah...I was blown away. I guess the Lord does give His people signs and wonders to behold, to those who are looking.

   Many more great experiences to tell, and yet so little time. I guess we will just have to have nice long chats after the mission :D I love you all and hope you are doing well and feeling loved in this Christmas season :D

Elder Kampenhout

No comments:

Post a Comment