Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Week 85 - Singapore and Malaysia - Mission Tour Part 2‏

March 13, 2012

Elder Thurman (tallest missionary in the mission) at his farewell dinner.
Elder Steadman and I with Sister Foo, Gelang, Kadam, Jessica, and the little boy. All Recent Converts!!!

Instructions in a hotel on how to wear a Sarong (they have them in the rooms!)

Recent Coverts (Sivista, Peny and their Children) w Elder Laycock in Sibu Jaya

Hey Everyone!!!!

    So things have been awesome. We are now done with the incredible Mission Tour with Elder Perkins, and finished up Saturday and Sunday with a District Leadership Training (to all of the District Presidencies from all of East Malaysia) and then had Miri District Conference. It was soo cool to be in those meetings with the Leaders of the Church, where they discussed the progression of the Church on a broad and vast scale, yet focus on the individual. This Church is led by men who have been called of God. One of the areas of focus was to get the Youth Serving missions, and they showed a video from LDS.org that testified about the great duty and calling of missionaries. As we watched this little video, the Spirit of the Lord descended into the room and testified to ALL that this was the way that the Church was going to grow in Malaysia. Not upon the sole efforts of the American missionaries, but largely upon the Returned Missionaries serving from Malaysia. After the video, Elder Perkins stood up and bore a simple testimony in which he said "that not a day goes by where the things I learned on my mission don't have an effect." He testified about how much he loved his mission, and the tears welled up in his eyes as he testified about the guidance and direction it has played in his life. As he spoke these words, I knew without a shadow of a doubt that the same influence would be played in my life. I am so grateful that I have chosen to serve a mission, and that I had been prepared by my parents and by the Lord to be able to do so. Amongst the Billions upon billions who have ever lived on this earth, how many have the opportunity to serve mission? How many have the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ of which to share with the broken hearted? How great our calling is! :D We can be the personal messenger for the Savior, and see how the Gospel heals the lives of those who accept it. This really is the greatest calling ever :D At the District Conference I was able to reunite with a family in whom Elder Steadman and I had taught and baptized, and all of the family members came to church (even the less active daughter). The mothers countenance had completely changed, and her intelligence and brightness had increased. The Gospel is working within them :D It is so true. It was an incredible trip.

   I will never be able to forget the effects of this mission tour. I will never be able to forget the things which God has taught me on my mission. It is of utmost importance. With Elder Bednar nearly a year ago, I learned about the importance of agency, and the principle of Faith being built upon agency. This time with Elder Perkins I learned about the important use of correction, and how chastising opens the gate for repentance and eternal life. When one rejects correction, they are damning themselves to improvement. Let us accept the correction that other give, no matter how rude or poorly given, if we seek out the truth in what they say, and seek to continually improve, it is then that we begin our journey on eternal life. I would invite all of you to read the scriptures and pay attention to the correction that Heavenly Father and our Earthly Leaders give us. I know that by doing so we will become happier and better people.

   I love you all, and can't wait to hear from you again. 

Your Loving Friend, Brother, and Son,

      Elder Willem Kampenhout

No comments:

Post a Comment