Saturday, November 27, 2010

Week 19 - Malaysia - Lessons for a Lifetime‏

November 23, 2010


Nama Berita!!!!
 
      Hello my loving family and friends! Oh how at such a time I wish I could berkumpul (come together) with all of you and celebrate thanksgiving, but sadly I am only a couple thousand miles away. Maybe next year (wait......oh.....sadness) but! Don't worry, even though Malaysia doesn't have Thanksgiving, the Missionaries are going to gather at the Senior Couples home and have a Thanksgiving dinner today :D Its great. I can't wait! Mashed Potatoes here I come!!!!
 
   Other than that I am doing so very well. Well, other than the fact that I started getting sick Sunday night, and when I woke up Monday morning I had a splitting headache, and throughout the day it only got worse. By the end of the night I couldn't eat anything (which brought teasing from our Church member hosts) because I was feeling so ill and dizzy. My head has never felt so hot, but I knew I must press on. We started sharing a bit after eating (or not in my case) and as soon as the Spirit of the Lord entered the room, all my sicknesses went away so I could focus on the topic of the Gospel. It was insane, but once we left it came right back. The comforting and pure love of the Spirit really is true. Now I can see how those who are 'filled with the spirit' like Samuel the Lamanite are unable to be harmed by the firey darts of the adversary nor the weapons of man. It really is true.
 
    Other than that the week has been uber fantastic. We have had lots of fun working hard together as a new companionship. Many times it is very easy into finding 'fun things to do' which take away from the missionary work, but Elder Gallinger and I have found that in working as hard as we can that we are enjoying ourselves with pure joy. There have been times where we haven't been as fruitful with our time, and while fun between missionaries, it was nothing compared to the Joy that comes from the work of the Lord. It really is true, that through our Heavenly Father that we can find that true love and joy in life.
 
   One thing that Elder Hill and I were discussing last night (while out on exchanges to do baptismal interviews) was how the parents and their parenting skills are around here. There is almost no discipline at all, and they just kinda let the kids run free, hoping one day they will become good kids. Sometimes when meeting new families, they tell us that they don't want to learn from us, but that we should teach their kids so we can teach them to be good people and not 'nakal". The one thing that always comes to my mind is that quote from Joseph Smith and is an Eternal Truth. "I teach them correct principles and they govern themselves." When we teach just kids, the kids will change a little bit, but without the support of the parents they are more likely to fall away from the things they have learned. However, when we have taught families, the family as a whole has grown significantly more happy, more clean, reverent, and more Christ-like in all ways. Its amazing. The parents want us to change their kids, but that is not our responsibility. You are the parents. It is your sole responsibility for the raising of your children. This starts from a young age, and if handled right, can bring good fruit. Given you can't control every aspect of their lives, as they have their free agency, but if you teach your children correct principles as a young child, strengthen those principles in their youth and teen hood, then they can govern themselves just fine in their latter years. The most important aspect would be that they walk in the footsteps of our older brother and Savior Jesus Christ. One family we just met has recently started to gather as a family and read from the scriptures and pray every other night of the week. While effects have not necessarily taken place immediately, I know that the promised blessings of the Lord will come. With everybody and everything (children, parents, employees, students, etc.) if you teach them correct principles, they will take care of themselves. It is geniusly illuminated in this example. "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." While one is definitely the easy way out, the hard and longer trek is the better way. Apply this to all things, and you will see the benefit thereof. 
 
   So many things are learned on a Mission, that can't be described in words, in the scriptures, or in images. But if you put your full effort in, and labor with all your might, mind, and strength, you will be lifted up. Callings, Jobs, and Family relationships. Applies for all. Don't take the easy way, take the best way.
 
I love you all, and hope that you are doing well. I apologize that I don't share as much of what is actually going on (mainly cause it is kind of the same thing day in and day out) but I choose to share the things that could benefit others, as they have benefited me. 
 
Your loving friend, brother, and son,
 
     Elder Willem Kampenhout
 
P.S. 2 Nephi 11:3. Things to think about. Building a foundation through the words of three. Parents and the Child, Missionaries and the investigator, God the Father, The Son, and Joseph Smith. To build the foundation, those learning must also be a voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment