Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Malaysia - Week 41 - Kota Kinabalu‏


April, 26, 2011

Selamat Pagi!!!

It might not be morning where you are, but it is a very beautiful sunny morning here in Kota Kinabalu. Yeah... Kota Kinabalu. Not Sandakan. I got transferred.
It will be an interesting change, but I know the Lord has a purpose for me here.

One thing of interesting note is actually the presence of our Relief Society President here, Sister Marrycle. She has lived in Sandakan most of her life, and because of that many, many, many people know here. Not just because she is a big public speaker or throws big parties, but because she has the biggest heart and is so full of charity, and is always helping with her hands. Many of the older Filipinos who have lived here will often see us and then ask us if "Auntie Marrycle" is a member of our church. When we say yes, they immediately begin to trust us, because of her great Christ like example. Oh how if all of us could be like this. Is it not possible? How could you be a better example to those around you?

In getting ready to leave, it was really interesting to see how much good a leaving missionary can do. There definitely were thoughts and temptations to just slack off because it was no longer going to be my area, but that was all false. Sandakan will still be within my responsibility, always and forever :D But I found that I did a lot of good with final testimonies, final trainings, and saying goodbyes but with a knowledge that we will meet again. At the bus stop Ednel, who has stormed back into activity since February, really, really did not want me to go. So much that he walked up into the bus with me and we sat and talked a bunch until he had to go. It's hard to let go, but it was a lot easier knowing that we will see them again :D

So you'll never believe it. While getting on the bus to more to KK, I struck up a conversation with a white couple, and they just so happened to be Hollanders!!!! It was so cool to hear them talk and get to know them. The boyfriend, Gerrard was most interested, and man they were tall too. Both of them. How come we are so short? HAHA :D But I started to talk about what I’m doing here and he actually wanted to hear what we were teaching. I only had so much time, because the Malaysians kicked me out of their seats, but I shared a bit about God and prophets, and it was crazy to see all of the questions that just came up. He had had no religious background, but had a genuine interest. So I gave him 2 pass along cards (they finally were of more use than the picture), but also kept helping them along on the journey as we stopped to eat and whatnot. They definitely recognized the Willem Kampenhout name. :D It felt so right being around Hollanders.

   Once again I find myself in another land, amongst new and familiar faces, but with one thing that remains the same. God is still watching over, the Book of Mormon is still true, and Jesus Christ is our Savior. I love you all, and hope to see you again.

Elder Willem Kampenhout

P.S. The computer is wigging out so I will have to send pics next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment