Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week 32 - Malaysia - Return to Sandakan‏

February 22, 2011

Hello Family!!!!

   Well, I am back in Sandakan, and man does it feel good :D While Singapore was a nice stay, and I learned a lot from the Missionaries there, I am very grateful to be back in Malaysia, specifically Sandakan. Lots of missionaries started telling me that I would be transferred to the Singapore Zone cause of all my troubles, but President Clark was VERY insistent on me going back to Sandakan. When I showed up, the Spirit confirmed that to me too. This is where I am suppose to be :D

  So coming back to Sandakan was a bit of a miracle on its own too. The office at the Embassy told me that I would most likely get my Visa on Tuesday (yesterday) but it actually came last Friday! Just four days after I ordered it. Wow.....how many times has that happened? It took weeks to get it before, and I was even living in the states! Now I am on the other side of the world, and 3 days? The Lord works in Mysterious ways.....

 But it was such a joy to be back :D

 These last couple days we have been getting some of our investigators ready for the baptism this weekend, and I have really grown to love Elder Martin and appreciate all of the Hard work he did while I was gone. I don’t know how many people do this, but Elder Martin and I were separate for 10 days, and while most of that, I was with other missionaries, Elder Martin was with members and the Senior Elder (Elder Wieland) in the area, who is also without his companion, as her mom is in Singapore at the Hospital. He has really been doing a fantastic job and really gotten our investigators ready for their baptism this weekend :D I already missed one baptism, but I am THERE for this one :D

  So some of the pictures I am sending (and will be posted on my blog) are of the crazy signs you see in Singapore, 

 


and of Elder Sugi (who was in Kuching with me before, but is now serving in Singapore). The people here sometimes don’t know how to use a western toilet, so you get some pretty interesting signs sometimes :D
Elders Kampenhout and Sugi in Singapore
Crazy dog!!




  One thing that has been of interesting note I've learned is this: Money does not make you happy. Singapore is a pretty wealthy city, but everyone there is frowning all the time. It is sometimes depressing when you see the masses as they are walking and not a single person there is smiling, and if they do, its pretty small. On the flip side, Malaysia is pretty filled with poverty, but these people have some of the greatest smiles! And they love to smile back to you and say something, many times "Peace be unto you." It is soooo true. I never saw it so white and black before. But it’s there. Remember that true happiness comes with spending time with, and loving your family, and those around. The Gospel of Jesus Christ and the churches inspired programs such as Family Home Evening and Family Prayer are ways to strengthen those ties. Make it a habit and you will SEE the benefit. Even if you are living alone, invite some friends over every Monday night, share a spiritual thought and have a little discussion or a story, and then play a game and eat treats! I can't wait to get home and do the same with you all :D

Well we have a member taking us to Pizza Hut soon (it’s amazing how far chain restaurants reach) and so I must leave you now. Take care, and keep praying for your wives and your children, so that they may be blessed.

Your loving friend, brother and son,

           Elder Willem Kampenhout

No comments:

Post a Comment