Saturday, January 8, 2011

Malaysia - Week 25 - Transferred!‏



Jan. 5, 2011

Apa Khabar Semau!!!

So I just want to tell you that while Christmas was a bit tough because of all its...parties and eating and alcohol (none taken by me....don't worry), New Years was awesome!!!! Our Branch didn't have the branch Christmas party in time, so we just held it on New Year’s Eve!!! We brought a ton of investigators and had an absolute blast with a little nativity play by the primary, songs by the youth and Relief Society and Priesthood, and then had good old Iban Karaoke. Haha. They actually picked good songs that night too! It was a bit sad to leave at 9:30pm, but they got along just fine without the missionaries there. :D

It was also an awesome night because we later found out that one of our investigators quit smoking that night as part of his new year’s resolution! He had been struggling, but has finally put it down! We are so pumped!!! All of the investigators we have are doing so well, and are such a joy to meet with. There are some great referrals and contacts that we will be getting in touch with who will really be exciting to teach! One of the people we are teaching now is an ex-minister at the local church, and we have now been told twice that his friend (who is also an older brother of another investigator) is looking into joining the church. Yeah....joining. A lot of the time these people will make up their minds before they even meet us. That is how well the members here are doing. It is so awesome. :D

One thing I have been really focusing on lately, and gave a training on in our District meeting, was on the Power of Prayer. Wow....it was amazing. I even learned tons in the training from spiritual truths that were revealed and experiences that were shared by Sister Erickson. I would suggest to all to read and study the Bible Dictionary section on Prayer. It is incredible.

Then came the news. Yesterday morning as I was getting into the mindset of doing the training I had prepared, and thinking about how best to teach it, the phone rang. President Clark calling. Oh no! What did we do wrong!!! Haha.....So Elder Gallinger picked up. Some quick chatting led to a funny exchange: "Is Elder Kampenhout there?" "Yes...."........long pause.........."Well can I talk to him?" Haha. That is so Elder Gallinger :) Love the Guy tons. So then President Clark and I chatted. He normally doesn’t call to tell you that you have been transferred when it is a normally planned transfer, so this Emergency transfer called for a call from the mission president, and some instructions for its reasoning. So the news is.......Sandakan, Sabah! He gave me the low down on why the transfer was needed, and then asked me (in a way I couldn't say no) if I think I was ready for it. Well, I guess I don't have a choice. I have absolutely loved the people and places of Kota Samarahan, but welcome all of those who live and reside in Sandakan. It sure will be different, with no bike riding, just taking buses and walking. Also being out of Sarawak will be different. No Ibans, and people just tell me "it’s completely different." Well as I’m sure you know....that is descriptive. :D My new companion will be Elder Martin! I actually knew Elder Martin from the MTC, as he was in the same group as Elder Gallinger! It will be like switching out friends! I will miss the fridge sized companion, but know I will love the "Tom Cruise" looking one as well. :D There is so much more to talk about, but so little time. I'm rather glad I'm leaving so fast, that way it doesn't torture my mind for 2-3 weeks if you find out way in advance. The only sad part about the transfer is that I go this Friday, so I won't be able to see everyone at church on Sunday, nor give a talk and bear my testimony one last time. I sure will miss it, but the Lord’s call must be answered. The few members I have spoken to about my transfer have been absolutely shocked, and very sad that I am leaving. I've also received texts threatening that they will kidnap me and stash me away in a Kampung. Haha. They really are a playsome people. :D It will be hard to leave, but I know it will be for the best. I was just getting comfortable. That’s the thing. As soon as you get good, the Lord gives you new challenges that you aren't ready for, so you can grow to fulfill the role, and continue on your Eternal Progression. He knows what’s best. :D

Well I must be leaving, but know that I pray for you always, and I hope my letters hope are somewhat of an interest. Next time I will email you from Sabah-bah!!!!

Your loving friend, brother, and son,

Elder Willem Kampenhout

No comments:

Post a Comment