Saturday, June 9, 2012

Singapore and Malaysia - Selamat Tinggal‏

June 5, 2012


Hello Dearest Family,

     As this is my final weekly letter as a missionary, I hope that I can convey the great spirit of missionary work within my words. This has truly been the greatest time of my life thus far. There have been times of great joy and times of great sorrow. I would have asked for almost all of them again, as I have grown in all situations. These past 25 months have been the greatest education I could ever receive. A true understanding of the Gospel will reach into all facets of ones life. The Doctrines and principles taught are not only applicable in the classroom, but in the very breath of life itself. It has helped me to live with people, understand others more clearly, love others more unconditionally, and serve others more fully. "True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior." ~ Pres. Boyd K. Packer. There has never been a better time in which I was able to solely study the gospel and apply it in every facet of my life. This has wrought a great change in my heart, one that could never have been accomplished by any other means. I would implore and invite everyone who reads this email to prepare themselves to follow the Savior and serve God as a Full-time missionary. Young Men and Young Women can prepare to serve. Senior couples or Sisters can serve as invaluable support roles. They really do keep the young missionaries alive and well here. If one prepares well and serves well, the greatest adventure, experience, and improvement will come to your life. This has truly happened to me. 
    The people whom I have served have truly touched my life more than theirs. In Kota Samarahan I was able to teach, inspire and uplift many of the Village-folk to follow the Saviors example and be baptized. There I was taught about how to work hard and to love people with all of your heart. In Sandakan, I learned about the importance of Hope, and Hope that is based upon the Atonement of the Savior. Never is such a time did I have to rely upon the merits of Christ, to keep me going every day and to come together with my companion, despite our differences, and to preform the work of the Lord. Later in Kota Kinabalu I was able to witness the Church of Malaysia in its greatest efficiency, and about the faithfulness of these people. I learned about humility from many of my investigators, who were truly living on threads at times. However, God used my vessel to reach out to these people and deliver the words which he would speak. "Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people." It truly was some of my greatest joys and I developed some eternal friends there. Upon moving to Miri, I discovered the wonderful world of Positive Attitude. There was not a day in that area in which I did not roar with laughter, or feel great joy! The Hodders (Senior Couple) taught me by example about the Spirit of Christmas, and how it can bring incredible Charity to ones life. It truly was a Miri-aculous time. Then came the call to serve as an assistant to President Clark. Boy I had no idea what that would entail. I have learned more, grown more, and become more in these past 6 months than in any other time of my life. My most treasured times were when we would sit in council with President Clark in his office, and he would teach and train and expound the doctrines of the Kingdom to us. I feel as if that man has altered the course of my life. Serving other missionaries has proved to be a challenging and rewarding task. When one gives their whole heart and mind, the duties of being an assistant really can seem heavy, yet the rewards of seeing others success and growth in equally light. This has truly been the greatest time of my life. I love being a missionary :D
     This last week in Sabah I was able to see many an old friend, recent convert, and see the growth that the area has made in my absence. It has been so incredible to see how the Lords work goes forth even when we as individuals are gone. It really attributes to the power of the work. It is not about the missionary, but those whom he serves. His investigators, his companions, his family, his God. I have loved me mission and it has been the greatest decision I have ever made. I love the Lord, I Love this Gospel.

   Your Loving Friend, Brother, and Son

    Elder Willem Kampenhout

P.S. Picture is us with the Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Elder Hallstrom (Presidency of the 70) , Bishop Davies (Presiding Bishopric), and Elder Watson (Asia Area Presidency).

No comments:

Post a Comment