Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Malaysia - Week 49 - Sabah Exchanges‏

June 22, 2011

Selamat Pagi!!!

     So this past week was the first time I got to go on Zone Leader Exchanges to A) give trainings to our district leaders B) Support and Uplift and Evaluate how the companionships are doing so we can help them. It was a way cool experience. I got to return to my old area in Sandakan, and had an amazing time. Getting to see a couple families and recent converts was really a needed experience. They were so happy to see and visit, and while it was only for about 30 minutes for most, it was good and spiritually uplifting. The best was probably when we went to Roderick's new place and met with him and Helen. They had had a lot of problems since I left Sandakan, but had been to church the week before I came back, and so I was able to help encourage them to continue to go to church, read, pray, and help Roderick prepare for his talk next week. That's right. President Wieland in Sandakan knows how to activate the inactive :D Especially with Roderick. He is a Diesel Engine. That man is going to to great things if he remains faithful.

Part of the exchange required a 6-7 hour bus ride through the mountains and hills of Sabah. Wow!!! Talk about incredible. These buses are the biggest things on the road, and yet are the fastest too. They pass smaller cars, trucks, and vans. It is amazing. Especially considering the roads, which are like 2 lane highways on old mountain passes. Pot holes everywhere, big bumps, and yet these buses and their crews know them like the back of their hands. My first bus driver has been driving for over 10 years, all on the same road. You would probably get to know it pretty well :D But, accidents still happen. We actually got hit by a small Lori on the trip to Sandakan. He had tried to pass us, but saw incoming traffic and turned back in, but misjudged his distance and clipped the back of our bus. I didn't even notice this happened until the bus driver told me at lunch. The front of the Lori was pretty well messed up, but the bus only had a broken light. It was nuts. In the meantime while the drivers were talking about the accident, I went and bought some shell necklaces for my mother at the little stands right next to the road :D Got a good deal too!

On a more spiritual nature I have been thinking a lot about the idea of 'Praying for others' and if it really is useful? We can't change other's wills or God's will, so what is the point? I am then brought to think of Alma the Elder and Alma the Younger in Mosiah 27:12 is it? The Angel visits Alma's wayward son and states that he is here simply to answer the prayer of his servants. The Lord is doing the same for you. He does for me too, so he has to do the same for you. I know that He is a Lord of Miracles, and most times it is the miracles that work within the hearts of man. It is easy to move mountains of dirt, but to move mountains doubt is a miracle. I have felt the Lord working in a miraculous way in my life, and coming unto the Savior truly is helping me change. I still have many problems, and the adversary works hard on me daily, but I know that as I continue to press forward with steadfast faith in Christ, that the Savior and I together will emerge victorious. I love these people here in Kota Kinabalu and in all of Sabah. I love this work, and I love my mission. Now being in the midst of one, I am confused as to why before my mission I even contemplated not going on a mission when things got hard. I am eternally grateful for the people the Lord placed in my life who encouraged and helped me make this step of faith :D It is going to be one of the best decisions I have made in my life :)

Your Loving friend, brother, and son,
           Elder Willem Kampenhout

No comments:

Post a Comment