Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Week 31 - Singapore - Lost in Transition‏



February 16, 2011

Nee Ho Ma!

    So many of you are probably wondering why I wrote "Singapore" instead of Malaysia. Well....it's because I have not been in Malaysia since I left for the Training in Singapore last Thursday. I was actually kicked out of Malaysia, and they sent me back to Singapore, and wow....talk about a crazy experience. :D

   So...I actually kinda had a feeling something was going to happen when we (Elder Sorenson [District leader from Tawau]) were on our way out of Singapore, but I wasn't sure what. Elder Sorenson went through just fine, but when I was diverted off of my original Immigration line to the next line over, and began begin questioned by the Immigration police about my purpose, that feeling got even stronger, and next thing I know I am in the Immigration Office being questioned and forced to sit for a few hours on this couch. They eventually told me that I was denied entrance to Malaysia, and that they would send me back to Singapore. However, the next flight wasn't for another 22 hours (after waiting for 2 in the office)  so I was going to have to stay in airport terminal for that whole length of time. I was not allowed to exit, and they didn't let me use their phones to make any calls. They did allow me to sleep on the couch though!! It was a little bit warmer than the terminal, but with no blanket it was still freezing. I hardly got any sleep cause there were people in and out all the time. It was nuts. I however did manage to get in touch with the Zone Leaders in my zone and communicated with them to arrange....my return to Singapore, and to alert my companion and the Senior Couple in Sandakan that I wouldn't be returning. So I then had the lovely privilege of talking and visiting with most of the workers in the airport, and while most of them were Muslim, managed to teach one about the restoration of Joseph Smith and the Plan of Salvation!! It was really awesome. :D It was really definitely a bit different, sharing the Gospel and teaching in a 1 on 1 environment. It felt more like friends just talking and trying to help each other out. It was incredible, and now I see why Member Missionary work is so important. Having two guys in suits and ties sit down and teach and invite you to do things can seem a bit odd at times, but when one friend is sharing and asking one to do it because they love one another.....that is where magic happens. Its when it is done out of love that the miracles come forth. :D
    So after a long 24 hours in the Kota Kinabalu Airport terminal 2, and showering in the sinks, eating only a muffin, I left for Singapore. Whew!!! It sure was nice to get back to a place where people liked you. :D So i have been here ever since. I have applied for a new passport, one without the big black stamp of being at one point "rejected from Malaysia" so that in my later months as a missionary I will be able to fly between countries without bringing up questions. But I have since been able to go to the US Embassy here in Singapore, go the Singapore Police Station, and go around with the Elders here in Singapore. My new passport should arrive around Tuesday next week, after which they will quickly send me to Sandakan, but this time avoiding the KK airport. I know all those guards all too well. ;) After being there through all the shifts. But President Clark was very insistent on sending me back to Sandakan, and I guess he knows that the Lord wants me there for a purpose. I guess when I get over there I will have to do my best to make it come to pass. :D
    Serving here in Singapore for the last couple days has been really awesome, and will be a good learning experience for my life to come.  :D I need to get rolling, but the next week I will have more to report on my situation. I kinda feel like Tom Hanks in “Terminal”. But I'm doing well :D There is probably someone in Singapore I am meant to find.  :D

Your loving friend, brother, and son,
           Elder Willem Kampenhout

No comments:

Post a Comment