Sunday, July 31, 2011

Malaysia - Week 54 - The Goose has flown, and The Eagle has landed‏



July 26, 2011

HI Ya'all!!! (As our southerner Senior Couple [Larsons] would say)

   This past week sure has been event filled for sure!!

  First off, The mission president (President Clark) and Elder Subandriyo (Quorum of the 70) came to Kota Kinabalu and split the Branch into two! Woot!!! It is super exciting and has been ready to split for some time, and now that it has happened, I have a feeling that there will be an increased portion of the spirit here in KK. I can already feel it :D There will be challenges, especially in our branch. The majority of the Leadership of the original branch all lives in the KK 1 branch area, while only a handful of leaders live in our KK 2 branch. However, those few leaders are some of the most capable of them all. It will be much like my Kota Samarahan days :D I can't wait :D We are meeting the branch President tonight at his home.  :D

  Second of all, we went on splits with the Assistants to the President and with President himself. President Clark also gave us a super amazing training about the Old Testament. He told and expounded before us about how if we want to understand why the world is the way it is, we must read the Old Testament, especially when it comes to Middle Eastern politics. The Old Testament, while old, is still the word of God, and he encouraged us to read it all through our mission. Can!!!!

  Thirdly, my belated companion Elder Sorensen has honorably finished his mission, and is currently on a flight back home to his family. He has truly began his journey in life and is being shaped by the Savior to become one of his sons :D Everyone will always remember the "Angsa" (Elder Sorensen’s nickname). He received that name because his first companion thought his name was Swanson, and so the members in Johor Baru gave him the Malay name Angsa, which means Swan or Goose. Here when they have a hard time saying your name they will sometimes find a new name to use. Or sometimes they will give you a name because they like you. Elder Watkins (whom i replaced) was called Turkey or "ayam belanda". Sometimes the Elders Quorum President will call me "ikit" which means duck, cause I sneeze like a duck. Haha. And now my new companion is Elder Hawkins....or Elder Helang (eagle). I guess KK is just an attraction for all kinds of birds ;)

    It sure has been interesting to see Elder Sorensen go home. It made me realize how sometime I too will finish my mission, and this life will be left behind. I don’t like thinking about that day....

   But! Elder Hawkins arrived yesterday and we moved him in and went out and had a couple really good and powerful lessons together. We even met with an old Investigator from Sandakan who has come to KK for schooling, and we miraculously bumped into each other the other day. She is so incredible and so receptive to the spirit. She speaks her mind, and it builds my faith. Just yesterday after our lesson she said "I just feel so peaceful".... :) It was sweet music to my ears. I love hearing responses.

   We are also now meeting with this incredible group of Phillipinos who live next to our apartment complex, and they feed us ALL THE TIME!!! Even last night. We had two separate meetings set up, and they feed us at both! I’m going to get so fat. Not! Jeffrey (the brother) comes to the gym with us every morning and is pretty much our trainer. He’s a way good one too! And he knows what he is doing. What a sweet kid :D I love Phillipinos.

Well I must get going. I hope you all are doing well and healthy. Are you feeling the summer heat now? Well....I'll tell you now. It’s nothing compared to here ;) It was 86 degrees in our room the other day, and it felt cool. I’m glad I don’t go home in the middle of winter.

Your Loving Friend, Brother, and Son,
     Elder Willem Kampenhout





No comments:

Post a Comment