Saturday, February 11, 2012

Week 75 - Malaysia and Singapore - AP/Singapore Transfer‏

January 4, 2012
Dearest Family,

    So..... I have a bit of news. Last Friday President Clark called me and asked me if I would be willing to serve along side him as an Assistant to the President, with the assignment of East Malaysia. I readily and excitedly said yes, and was informed that Elder Martin would be my companion. Elder Martin was my companion back in Sandakan. Wow!!! It took some big changes to get things ready for becoming assistant, as I had less than two days to get to Singapore, but in that time we had 3 baptisms, went to church, mailed off a huge package for you all, and got stuck in airports, talked with a wonderful Dutchman named Jos Burgers, and met some other good people :) It has been a blast.

   Now the changes between going from Zone Leader to East Malaysian Assistant are very very drastic. For one, going from a small little humble town where you are constantly speaking Malay, to a sprawling metropolis where millions live, tons of visitors, lots of immodest clothing, and super modern way of life. Its a bit shocking. I also have gone from riding on a bike and teaching lessons while sitting on the floor to traveling by subway system and sitting in office chairs most of the day. It's been quite the change. But I am loving it. We haven't traveled yet, but will be going to Sibu this weekend. We also will be sharing a ward with the other Assistants (over West Malaysia) but have yet to start working on that. All in due time :)

  This new change will make my schedule less routine, and may miss some emailing days, or email late. I promise I am OK. If something happens, President Clark will tell you. He's with me all the time :) So don't fret mother ;)

   I love this mission, and love my Savior. I know that many people feel the love of the Savior through our actions. I know this is true. When I was saying goodbye to little 12 year old Rosechilla (baptized Dec 31) she ran up and wrapped her little arms around me and started crying, not wanting me to go. Her friends and family wanted to do the same, but were able to hold themselves back. It was very hard, but I was able to tell them that if they stuck with the Gospel, kept going to Church, that we would meet again. I know that if they do their part, I will be there. I guess this is much like the Promise our Heavenly Father gives to us. Let us always remember that :)

Your Loving Son,

      Elder Willem Kampenhout

No comments:

Post a Comment