Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Week 92-Singapore & Malaysia - Elder Koay has landed!!!‏

May 1, 2012
Elders Koay and Kampenhout

Hello family and Friends!!!

     This past week has been fantastic!!! We went on exchanges last week in Butterworth and Ipoh, where I got to meet and teach some Malaysian Indians! Such wonderful people!! I love this people. Elder Nowland and I were able to experience a couple cool miracles too when his hunch to want to go contacting in a certain area led us to a house. The contact went like this: We walked up to the gate and announced our presence. The tall and slim Indian woman came outside as her older boys moved around and arouse from their tv watching position in the house. She asked us "Hello? Can I help you?" "Hi!! My name is Elder Kampenhout! This is my friend...." " Elder Nowland!" At that point I remembered how we have been trained to observe their surroundings and to compliment them. So i quickly said "You have a very nice nice!" She paused for a second, then said "Do you want to come in?" Wah!!!! and we were inside. There we met a wonderful family and her son, who had been studying all the religions of the world trying to find God. "Well we have just the book for you" said Elder Nowland. So amazing. I love missionary work!!

     Just two days ago, my new companion, Elder Koay, arrived! Since the moment he arrived we have been planning and preparing and just having a great companionship together. I can tell that we are going to have the best of time together. His energy and excitement for the work is phenomenal. He is a Chinese Malaysian, so can speak English, Malay, and Chinese!!! Its been super cool so far. He can actually place correct orders at Chinese restaurants! Oh the uses of being in companionships. That has been the real eye opener. Over the past two weeks I have been having to do a lot for East Malaysia while I have been attached to other companionships. Elder Jones and Elder Whittaker have been incredible in helping and encouraging and being there for me. I learn so much from those two. But I have now come to realize the strengths of pairs. They not only keep each other safe, but they can communicate better with more people, they can focus their spiritual thoughts and counterbalance each other. They can support each other in lessons, and you have twice as much spiritual knowledge than when you are on your own! You can call twice as many people, while still being able to preform other tasks. Plus you both will have different approaches to all the situations you encounter, and those different approaches teach you to "Teach people, not lessons." So huge. I love it :D

    Things have just been great. We had 2 confirmations last week, and have another baptism this week!!! That has been the cool miracle, that we as the Assistants have been able to do our duty as assistants AND have an area too! Not to mention an area that baptizes monthly! This has been some of the best times of my mission. I love serving the Lord, serving his servant President Clark, and serving the missionaries. Its amazing how they really are the mouth out of which the prophets message is declared. Its pretty amazing :D Try it yourself. Missionary work is the greatest work you will ever do. Don't let a day go by without doing something.

Your loving friend, brother, and son,

       Elder Willem Kampenhout

No comments:

Post a Comment