Sunday, October 30, 2011

Week 64 - Malaysia - Go Slow to Go Fast‏

Oct. 4, 2011

Dearest Family,

    I would first off like to thank each and every one of you for the Faith, Prayers, and Testimonies which each and every one of you have sought to develop in your respective areas of Life. Every one of our actions has eternal consequences. The story I am going to share will highlight what I am talking about.
    Just two days ago we were attending a Young Single Adult (YSA) Family Home Evening (FHE) which is put on by the Senior Couple (The Larsons) here in KK. One of the YSA gave a really good lesson about how she was so grateful for the one and Only True and Living Church upon the face of the earth, and then invited everyone to stand up and bear their testimonies. Right as we were about to leave (and go to another member FHE nearby) Elder Larson stood up and asked me to come translate for him. Oh am I ever grateful that I had this opportunity. When he stood, he spoke about his great great Grandfather, who was the first member of his family to join the church. Since that day, his posterity has grown to more than 30,000 people, most of which are members of the Church. When I heard that, I then realized how grateful I am for my own father and mother, who have had no easy life being a convert in the Church. However, I know just as much as they do that the Testimony they hold onto is worth more than the Kingdoms of the Earth. They are invaluable. Now I imagine the numbers of people who will reap the benefit of my Father's decision as a young boy to desire and find the truth. I know that I will ever be grateful for his desire to hold to the truths, but also for those who have helped him along the way. We are never alone at any point in our lives. There are constantly Angels round about us, bearing us up, seen and unseen. Countless thousands praying that our every action will be of righteous influence. And every time we make one of those critical, difficult yet eternally impacting decisions, our future generations leap for joy as they await their earthly existence.
     Now how does this relate to Missionary work and what is going on here in KK? Let me tell you. Long ago, when I moved into the then-disasterous KK house, I found a little piece of paper which is now posted on my wall. It reads: A Missionary gives up two years of his life so those he teaches can live with theirs for Eternity. That my friends, puts things into perspective. I often think about that. It makes me leap for joy when I see long time members still strong in the Gospel, but I also understand that there are those that fall into hard times and inactivity. Inactivity is not anything to frown at. It is merely a chance to help. God values them just as much as he does those who are active. Why shouldn't we? Every time we serve our fellow man, we are sowing seeds of righteousness which will one day bear fruit. Most of the fruit we will never see in this mortal life, but is it not worth the wait? I don't think that Elder Larsons Great Great Grandfather has any idea that his baptism would lead to a posterity of 30,000 whose lives have been blessed by the Gospel. We have no clue what our actions will lead to in the Future, but the Lord does. Lean on Him. Use His word as guidance. Follow the incredible counsel you have just received from the Prophets and Apostles (we get it in 2 weeks). And He will guide you :D Have Faith.
      The work in KK (Kota Kinabalu) is moving pretty slowly right now, but that's OK :) Because the Lord is moving right along with His plans. We are working our hardest and putting every effort into every day. The past few days Elder Hawkins voice has been gone, so I have had to do a lot of the talking, and communication, but I definitely feel that we are still united. He has gotten better at making the most of what he has said, and is a great Missionary. I encourage all to take part in the Greatest Mission on the Earth, that is the Mission of the Savior. Go forth and Preach the Gospel, and sometimes use words.

    Your Loving Friend, Brother and Son,
    Elder Willem Kampenhout

No comments:

Post a Comment