Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Week 47 - Malaysia - The Sick Season‏

June 14, 2011

Hello Family :)

    It is always a joy to hear from people back home. Not that it makes me miss home all that much, but it reminds me of what my life was like before my mission and how it's changed. It helps me appreciate and love it even more. It also gives me a refreshing course of just how crazy Malaysia is :D I love it. Every day is an adventure :D But that is just Missions. Always and adventure.

   This week's adventure took Elder Sorensen and I to visit a lot of member's houses and to listen to their stories and also to teach and share the gospel with their friends and family. We have been focusing on working through the members here in Kota Kinabalu, and really training them how to be good members, how to fulfill callings, follow the line of authority, and so on. I think they are doing a pretty good job here. It's easy to complain, but when you think about how the Saint in America have had....oh....180+ years of practice, and Malaysia has had....oh...14 years? I think we are doing pretty good :D Yet, it's not how long you have served, but how you have served :)

  So it looks like my run of poverty will end later on today (or maybe tomorrow morning). I think I lost my wallet....oh...4 weeks ago? Since then I have only had less than $180 US dollars to spend, where we take transport everywhere, have left the country twice, and even went to a large shopping festival. I have been borrowing money when I need it from my companion (about $50) and always kinda laugh at myself when I run out of money. It's not a budgeting thing. I'm about as tight as I can get. I spend about $5 on groceries a week, and I make it work. Bread and water has been the staple of my diet. Makes life colorful eh? But it will be good to have financial support again, but I wonder how much I will actually spend?

  Sadly, the change in the seasons have left Elder Sorensen and I sick with runny noses and coughs. I had the runny nose. He had the cough. Together we were one sickly flock of ducks. The worst was that I really got sick over Fast Sunday. That is when it got the worst. So having no money, no proper medicine, and only bread and water to eat, didn't leave me with a lot of vices. But thankfully my companion came in and made me some amazing hot Milo, and I just had to forget about the rest :D He has truly got my back :D

  One of the most powerful appointments we had this week was when we met with our investigator Sofinah. She is the younger sister of a member in Singapore. She came to church, and had a wonderful time. On a spur of wisdom, my companion suggested we just answer questions she will have for our next appointment, which ended up being the best thing ever. Armed with the Senior Couples house, a dynamite member named Cicie, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ, we sat down and had a wonderful discussion. My companion and I did about....oh....10% of the talking. Sofinah did have some worries, such as what was the role of Mary in our church, but also with Rev. 22:18. Our member at that point took over, and not only overcame that concern of hers, but also solidified the reality of the Book of Mormon, and the need of Joseph Smith, and the need for each and every one of us to ask God himself about these things. It was incredible. All we did was really talk about what are priesthood keys. At the end of that lesson Sofinah came out and told us that she was very touched by everything and really wants to find her own answer, and that she was feeling the Holy Ghost :D It was amazing. The Spirit was so strong in that lesson that it lasted throughout the rest of the night, a peaceful feeling that can only be experienced, and not be described. The Spirit really does witness of truth. To me that night really told me what teaching really is. It is not stepping up on a box and pounding down your students throats the ideas you have, but explaining a little, and then asking questions and listening, discerning, checking understanding and then responding. The most important part is to listen with your heart. Listen because you really want to know and to help them and yourselves. Don't have a hidden agenda. Of course there are things which they can do which will help them, but if it does not come around in the discussion, it's ok. What is important is that they do get something that helps them progress a little bit better. Build their desire. Teach them to love the Sea, and they will build a boat themselves to get there. Invite. They Commit. You follow up. This is the Lord's way of Teaching.

   I would like to share my testimony very quickly about the power of Priesthood Blessings. It is real. It is not always flashy or instant, but it is real. It opens doors into people's hearts and minds, and invites the help of the Lord in overcoming sicknesses, ailments, and injuries. You may not think that "this is serious enough to need a blessing," but would you ever not want God's help? I would always want his help, his inspiration, his guidance. Think about the billions of people who don't have the opportunity of Priesthood Blessings. What would they give to have one? Fathers and Sons. Live worthy enough to always be able to act in the place of the Savior to administer to the sick and the afflicted. The need will always come when you least expect it. We have been given a power from on High. Don't hang it up on a shelf and look at it. Take it down and use it to do some good in the world. Serve in your callings. Fulfill your Offices. Be All that you can be :) We are the Children of God. Lets preform in such a manner.

    Your Loving Friend, Brother, and Son,

Elder Kampenhout

Elder & Sister Bednar in Kota Kinabalu with Missionaries

No comments:

Post a Comment